After actually researching how to make a lined duffel (research… what a novel idea…), I finally made a second one. My goal wasn’t perfection, but an experiment to see what it would look like if I made it entirely with the machine, instead of hand-stitching important parts (handstitching is my crutch). As a result, there are some parts of the bag that definitely show that I don’t know how to control the machine as well as I should. But I learned a lot and have a fairly nice bag to show for it. It took me only five days of fairly light work in the evening — a drastic change in time expenditure.
Unfortunately, one of the things I learned is that my crappy washing machine eats canvas for dinner. So of the fun colors I have, I have to re-buy all but the gray. 🙁 Everything gets washed in the bathtub from now on.